ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 1,255 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

Defo for TP-Link, for Netgear depends if you game, how big is home, etc, and if u want modem and separate Netgear router such as the Netgear AX12 or Netgear XR500 for Gaming, when they finally fix the DumaOS aspect of it ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Haines
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • Regular

both my son and i game, missus and daughters just watch crap! lol

heavy users of wifi, ideally wanna encompass all in one router modem? as i cant have the unifi alien i really want!

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

Give the TP-Link a try, seems all round best option given you are on Sky

Haines
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • Regular

cheers ill post how i get on, out of interest, are the netgear ones with dedicated game settings that much better?, if so and im going to spend a fortune on one, what would be the best option for router? as the rubbish skyq hub wont utilise bridge mode?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

I have the Netgear XR500 which uses a GeoFilter, and is really really cool and part British, they are working on DumaOS 3 which when finished should be very good.

My Son loves EA Footchamps and we set the Geo Filter so it only connects to the EA server based near London he gets 8ms game pings etc,

It is only a wifi router and a separate modem is needed £230 (Gaming is not cheap)

Netgear units that combine modem and router for gaming are only averidge at best

https://netduma.com/features/

Haines
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • Regular

wow now your peaking my interest! my lad is fifa mad, where as mine is more warzone type stuff!. is the draytek modem best one to go for?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

wow now your peaking my interest! my lad is fifa mad, where as mine is more warzone type stuff!. is the draytek modem best one to go for?

Have a look at the Netgear Range of Routers that use DumaOS – also Duma do make there own router (R2) , but it is low end Hardware and wifi is not as good as it could be for larger properties as it uses cheaper wifi hardware,  but it is cheap and British . £130

(Edit: i did not check for R2 if Sky is supported)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma

https://netduma.com/order/netduma-r2/

DrayTeK Vigor modems are BT approved (BT SIN 498) and the Vigor 130 is a good device.

I am a COD – Black OPs etc.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by UK Sentinel.

Haines
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • Regular

i have properly bit the bullet now, got the draytek 166 really cheap, and also ordered a Netgear RX1000, that Duma is too good looking to say no too! thanks for all your advice lads!

Andy
    Participant
    • Posts 9
    • Recruit

After much testing

Switching from Auto to VDSL or unterminated cable make no differebce to the click.

tried later firmwares that remove the click but introduce more OpenVPN server issues. Such as video connection timeout on my CCTV & various connection errors. I have for the time being revereted back to v1.10.05 build503 Jan. 19, 2018 as this is the most stable with both my OVPN server & client set up.

Is it worth changing to a RT-AC88U or do the same bugs exist in the firmware of that unit also?

Or any ideas of a Asus WRT unit I can maybe take a look at ?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

i have properly bit the bullet now, got the draytek 166 really cheap, and also ordered a Netgear RX1000, that Duma is too good looking to say no too! thanks for all your advice lads!

Nice bit of kit and glad you have deep pockets, hopefully once firmware is matured it will be a very powerfull gaming device

Any problems / questions feel free to start a new Thread

https://uktechhub.com/forums/topic/xr1000-dumaos-3-0-ax-router-is-coming/

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

After much testing Switching from Auto to VDSL or unterminated cable make no differebce to the click. tried later firmwares that remove the click but introduce more OpenVPN server issues. Such as video connection timeout on my CCTV & various connection errors. I have for the time being revereted back to v1.10.05 build503 Jan. 19, 2018 as this is the most stable with both my OVPN server & client set up. Is it worth changing to a RT-AC88U or do the same bugs exist in the firmware of that unit also? Or any ideas of a Asus WRT unit I can maybe take a look at ?

Ditching the DSL-AC88U is my advice and purchase something like the RT-AC88U or RT-AC86U is a safer option, alas then u will need a G.fast modem such as Draytek 166 ? (I think you had G.fast) I forget ?

Ian Greener
    Participant
    • Posts 7
    • Recruit

Just before I jump in and buy something what is the Asus ax82u like ?

I cannot afford the expensive routers at the moment so it’s down to the Draytek 2862ac all in one or the Draytek 166 modem along with a used ax82u router or am I better off with a used ac-88u router.

Be nice to hear from someone who knows more about these than me !

Andy
    Participant
    • Posts 9
    • Recruit

Ditching the DSL-AC88U is my advice and purchase something like the RT-AC88U or RT-AC86U is a safer option, alas then u will need a G.fast modem such as Draytek 166 ? (I think you had G.fast) I forget ?

Good memory, its sure better than mine

I think that I have reached the same conclusion but I was thinking that I could connect the MT995 to the RT-AC88U ?

At moment I just have a Cat6 from my MT995 into the WAN port of my DSL-AC88U & I thought I would be able to do the same with the RT-AC88U

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

should work well running from MT992 G.fast modem to WAN port on RT-AC88U

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

Just before I jump in and buy something what is the Asus ax82u like ? I cannot afford the expensive routers at the moment so it’s down to the Draytek 2862ac all in one or the Draytek 166 modem along with a used ax82u router or am I better off with a used ac-88u router. Be nice to hear from someone who knows more about these than me !

Give the Draytek 2862AC a try, just make sure it is returnable if you decide to purchase brand new, I used to have one, but no good for gaming as UPnP did not support multiple Gaming consoles, but the Draytek 2862AC was as steady as a rock

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 1,255 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.