ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 299 total)
  • Author
    yakumo
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

I remember from the DSL-AC68u days, I encouraged a neighbour  to purchase the DSL-AC68U and after some disconnects and calling out out a BT OPENreach Engineer, my neighbour via the engineer was asked to remove the DSL-AC68U ?

Yes, that specific unit ended up getting blacklisted by bt/openreach at one point for an option it had available that was causing network problems for others on the same cabinet, the Mediatek modem chip it used had severe issues after the g.inp upgrades had rolled out and unless it caused the occasional disconnect the owner usually had no knowledge there was a problem but it caused interference for other customers on the same cabinet. Once flagged by the system it only became impossible for it to connect with g.inp and it’s performance was heavily capped by DLM rather than being blocked from connection to the network at all,  I had one at the time and went through this myself, I expected to be told to remove it if I hadn’t swapped it out as soon as I saw the discussion of it being blacklisted online, however fighting to try and get it back up to speed with different configurations I did specifically mention it was in use in multiple calls to BT as fastpath dropped out a few times over months but I was never told to actually stop using it, as soon as I was able though I swapped to a Huawei modem instead and had full speed and g.inp within 30 minutes without having to wait days for DLM or again request a reset.

The engineer you heard of may have just suggested removing what was an unknown router to them as the customer was complaining of disconnects, use the stock router is default advice, or there is a chance they recognised it specifically by then and knew it was best removed. If the situation had actually escalated further in the 2 years I kept the device as a bridge I did not see it mentioned on the forums though.

With the SIN review above giving me confidence about it’s actual standing, I am going to give the 82u a try as the LAN & W-LAN side of things should be excellent still, and I like the firmware a lot over other brands. The firmware licensing not being an issue any more is a huge plus that I hope will result in updates & custom patches for years.

I’m definitely not going through the MediaTek fiasco again or suffer firmware stagnation, if there are any issues not resolved very quickly then I will swap it out for a fritzbox immediately on your recommendation and just have to cope with any loss of hw/sw features, unless by then there is something clearly better from any upcoming refresh due to 6E wifi but they could easily price themselves out of the equation, I would wait for those now but for wanting rid of the ac88u’s closed fw and 6E unit’s expected price hike.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

new Beta Firmware for the DSL-AX82u for those that are interested (usual UKTH  beta firmware T&C’s still apply)

ChangeLog
    Security Fixes and Improvements:
    – Enhanced Slowloris Denial of Service attack.
    – Updated to OpenSSL-1.1.1k for CVE-2021-3449.
    – Updated dropbear to 2020.81.

Bug Fixes and Improvements:
    – Fixed AiMesh/Guest network related issues.
    – Removed DTPC capability bit of IE from AP side.
    – Fixed PC-offline-blocking still remains when offline time contain DST-start-time and continues after offline time.
    – Fixed RE will sync the first USB account with the HTTP account.
    – Fixed iTunes cannot be started in AP mode.
    – Enhanced ICMPv6 type 128 flooding protection.
    – Enhanced ICMPv6 firewall handling.
    – Added jitterentropy-rngd for feeding the Linux /dev/random.
    – Updated USB modem APN data.
    – Fixed it takes too long time to obtain the Let’s Encrypt certificate in China.
    – Fixed IPSec connection status shows nothing if connection type is IKEv2.
    – Fixed unexpected client deauthentication issue which is triggered client sending frames with incorrect BSSID.
    – Fixed sometimes the devices in LAN could not access internet if PPTP/L2TP client connected.

DSL-AX82U_9.0.0.4_386_42943-g4e3dfd3_cferom_puresqubi.w (45 downloads)

El3rt1cal
    Participant
    • Posts 8
    • Recruit

The memory handling does seem suspect. Tried the following experiment when the memory use was at an 82%  memory used start point.

Loaded Samba, transferred about 20 Gb via ethernet from the USB stick I had put in. Memory went to 94% used but no other issues.

Quit Samba. Memory seemingly not released, stayed at 94%.

Reloaded Samba – Reboot triggered.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by El3rt1cal.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

The memory handling does seem suspect. Tried the following experiment when the memory use was at an 82% memory used start point. Loaded Samba, transferred about 20 Gb via ethernet from the USB stick I had put in. Memory went to 94% used but no other issues. Quit Samba. Memory seemingly not released, stayed at 94%. Reloaded Samba – Reboot triggered.

I will add this to the list I send ASUS for them to look at

yakumo
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

The dsl-ax82u price from Amazon co.uk (direct) just dropped £45, it’s not a price guarantee pre-order item so you’re not updated automatically while they wait for stock, I was lucky to spot it, and was able cancel and re-order, ETA window unchanged.
    So if anyone else has ordered you might want to check.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Nice! £188.56  I just had a look

VikArmo
    Participant
    • Posts 1
    • Recruit

Hi all,

New member. I’ve been following this thread closely as very interested in this router.

Pre-ordered it today at the new price.

Currently using a TP-Link VR2800 which has served me well especially the latest firmware. It was dropping the DSL connection about once every 10 days and would take several restarts to get it back but the latest firmware seems to have fixed the issue. I have quite a few wireless devices connected to it, using it with a nas box and for streaming. No memory issues whatsoever and slightly worried about the Asus and its handling of memory after reading users comments on this thread. Apart from that I’m really looking forward to it.

Thanks everybody for their fantastic input.

Black Bird
    Participant
    • Posts 34
    • Regular

Hi UK Sentinel

As I show in the screenshot, when I set the channel to 100 (and above) and 160 MHz, 5 GHz Wi-Fi becomes active after 10-15 minutes. When I turn the device off and on, 2.4 GHz is active, but 5 GHz is active after 10-15 minutes. I tried the last beta fw and official fw. Several of my friends who used this model also confirmed this.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Black Bird.
    Attachments:
    Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 406
    • Addict

Howelse should it be?

After restart they first have to prove for radar signals on ch. 120-128 which will be used for 160MHz.

This takes 10 min. per definition.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Grisu.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Hi all, New member. I’ve been following this thread closely as very interested in this router. Pre-ordered it today at the new price. Currently using a TP-Link VR2800 which has served me well especially the latest firmware. It was dropping the DSL connection about once every 10 days and would take several restarts to get it back but the latest firmware seems to have fixed the issue. I have quite a few wireless devices connected to it, using it with a nas box and for streaming. No memory issues whatsoever and slightly worried about the Asus and its handling of memory after reading users comments on this thread. Apart from that I’m really looking forward to it. Thanks everybody for their fantastic input.

Welcome, not sure if your aware, but the DSL-AX82U is also supported by @GNUton, so best of both worlds

GNUton and ASUS DSL-AX82U

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Howelse should it be? After restart they first have to prove for radar signals on ch. 120-128 which will be used for 160MHz. This takes 10 min. per definition.

Very good, I am impressed

I thought it was between 1 – 10 minutes, but 15 minutes does sound a long time ?

Chelsea maniac
    Participant
    • Posts 21
    • Regular

Can someone please explain to a thicko like me what is @GNUton, is this some kind of jailbreak CFW if it is how is the guarantee warranty affected, Going to buy next week just hope price holds out

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Can someone please explain to a thicko like me what is @GNUton, is this some kind of jailbreak CFW if it is how is the guarantee warranty affected, Going to buy next week just hope price holds out

Have you ever heard or RMerlin (ASUSWRT-Merlin)  firmware for ASUS router – if so then @GNUton uses RMerlin firmware suitable for some  ASUS DSL models ?

If you have not seen RMerlin firmware, take a look here https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 406
    • Addict

GNUton writes firmwares for asus DSL routers based on Merlin firmware as he never supported DSL-types.

Merlin is a open firmware project for asus routers based on Asus-WRT and offers much more features, bug fixes and enhancements.

You can always go back to official asus firmware.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 299 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com