ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS & Wireless ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 366 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

Great news, no mention in changelog with regards to the DDNS/Let’ Encrypt issue they did have, so hopefully all working as expected

Any issues then tell me so I can inform ASUS .

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

El3rt1cal
    Participant
    • Posts 17
    • Regular

The updated OpenVPN version together with the apparent ability to  have simultaneous vpn tunnels and  set policies to determine which lan devices use which tunnels seems useful.

I imagine there are  processor and performance overheads, but presuming the ability to use no tunnel at al is part of it, that could presumably avoid  double tunnels with devices that have their own vpn client software permanently active

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

Good to know – VPN’s love eating CPU resources – the VPN feature does sound very simular to what ASUS use in there GTX gaming routers (vpn fusion)

El3rt1cal
    Participant
    • Posts 17
    • Regular

The GUI interface looks exactly the same as the GTX VPN help, so I guess it is the same. With just one VPN tunnel it seems OK in terms of resource use, but it will be interesting to see what adding another concurrent one does. All in all though I am happier with this Modem / router than any I have had for years.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

The GUI interface looks exactly the same as the GTX VPN help, so I guess it is the same. With just one VPN tunnel it seems OK in terms of resource use, but it will be interesting to see what adding another concurrent one does. All in all though I am happier with this Modem / router than any I have had for years.

Interesting, what is CPU /RAM usage with just one VPN running ?

El3rt1cal
    Participant
    • Posts 17
    • Regular

From 67% ram use to 69%. FWIW from memory both figures are better than it has been previously, however the device has only been up for 24 hours or so.

It is is really difficult to gauge CPU use as core use fluctuates, so there is a health warning with these numbers. With an 8Mb/s BT download of a Linux distro and None or an OpenVPN tunnel:

5% or less increase on baseline core 1 use and 5% typically  to 10% max occasionally on the other cores. (core 1 peaking at 90 in both cases, core 2 and 3 getting up to 25% at most but typically fluctuating between 3 and 14.

All in all it does not seem like either CPU or memory are stretched by running a single tunnel.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

Does sound like the DSL-AX82U is not being over utilised with a single VPN, so 2 x VPN’s would be interesting ;-)

Daron Futé
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

Hi everyone,

I just took a VDSL2 subscription in Belgium via EDPNET and I would like a very good modem router to replace my Fritz!Box 7530. The modem router will be in my garage and the wifi will be disabled, there will only be 3 game consoles connected to it (Xbox Series X, Series S and PS5) I want a modem router specially made for gaming to ensure the best latency possible.

Do you recommend this DSL-AX82U?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

The DSL-AX82U with Stock firmware works OK, for gaming but QOS I have found to be not ideal

THe DSL-AX82U is supported by a third party firmware called GNUton and this has CAKE QoS,  I have used this and it is very good at reducing buffer bloat and latency if set up correctly

Is there a reason why you want both a modem and router in one device as a separate modem a router for gaming gives you more choices ?

NETGEAR XR500 or XR1000 with Geofilter

El3rt1cal
    Participant
    • Posts 17
    • Regular

Fine for gaming. As  you would be moving from a single box solution it would have the benefit of simplicity. Asus also seem to be supporting the firmware quite well.

As UK Sentinel said however a two box solution might be better. Depends on what you need or would like overall and what would be OK for you in terms of price

Daron Futé
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

Modem + router is ok. I have a fritzbox 7350 actually. It doesn’t have bridge mode but pppoe passthrough.

No limit for pricing.

I don’t need wifi (it was deactivated) i need best router option for gaming only

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

Using Fritz!Box in PPPoE pass through  then all you need is Gaming router.

1. ROG Rapture GT-AX11000

Triple-level Game Acceleration – Accelerate game traffic every step of the way – from device to game server.

1.8GHz quad-core CPU and 2.5GBase -T port for ultimate performance.

2. Netgear XR1000 or XR500

1.5GHz Triple-Core Processor

GeoFilter

Ping Heatmap

3. TP-Link Archer GX90 AX6600 or DSL-AX82U (GNUton Firmware)

I would put the Netgear XR1000 / 500 in first place as I own the XR500 and the GeoFilter and Ping Heatmap gives you very good information regarding gaming  servers location and distances etc. alas the Firmware updates are poor quality and delayed currently, hence second place.

Daron Futé
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

Why not consider the asus ax89x which seems to be the replacement for the ax1100?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

Why not consider the asus ax89x which seems to be the replacement for the ax1100?

The ASUS RT-AX89X has an internal fan which is always a worry !

Best for Gamers : ASUS GT-AX11000

Best for Power Users – ASUS RT-AX89X

Source: https://consumerreviews.store/asus-rt-ax89x-vs-gt-ax11000-differences/

Daron Futé
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

Thanks you so much UK Sentinel!

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 366 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.