ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2903
    • Skipper

Interesting, can i ask where you purchased your DSL-AX82U as I was told by ASUS for UK, the end of April was the availability and I am sure others will be interested also ?

Gaming from my perspective was poor, usually down to QoS and how the Broadcom chipsets handel SMP, the gameplay (Xbox – PC) was framey etc. maybe something ASUS can improve upon over time ?

(I removed your other post as it was almost a duplicate of this )

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

wizard1
    Participant
    • Posts 3
    • Recruit

Interesting, can i ask where you purchased your DSL-AX82U as I was told by ASUS for UK, the end of April was the availability and I am sure others will be interested also ? Gaming from my perspective was poor, usually down to QoS and how the Broadcom chipsets handel SMP, the gameplay (Xbox – PC) was framey etc. maybe something ASUS can improve upon over time ? (I removed your other post as it was almost a duplicate of this )

Thanks for the reply

I found one one Amazon.de – I think it’s actually shipping from Italy?

So I read more about the 498 standard but from what I found there is no real issue if you are not an ISP yourself, I.e. if I am just a private individual using a non compliant device..

Could you elaborate on “how the chipset handle SMP?” – I am mainly a pc game so not sure that would also impact that?

Thanks again

Edit: also adding that I plan to set up AiMesh with the same model but just router version as I have multiple storeys and old house

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by wizard1.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2903
    • Skipper

According to DrayTek, BT SIN 498 is required

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/bt-sin-498

I have not tested Aimesh myself on the DSL-AX82U, but it is planned, so given time should work as well as other ASUS models supporting Aimesh.

Enjoy your new purchase when it arrives from Italy

Attachments:

wizard1
    Participant
    • Posts 3
    • Recruit

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

According to DrayTek, BT SIN 498 is required https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/bt-sin-498 I have not tested Aimesh myself on the DSL-AX82U, but it is planned, so given time should work as well as other ASUS models supporting Aimesh. Enjoy your new purchase when it arrives from Italy

</p>

Thanks – very informative

It sounds like it’s something that can be handled via firmware upgrades?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2903
    • Skipper

Hopefully, but I do not work for ASUS, so only they really know the long term plan

Edit:

When your DSL-AX82U arrives, let us know what firmware version it comes pre-loaded with as I can chase ASUS for an updated Firmware

vitt13
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular

Deleted

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by vitt13.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2903
    • Skipper

I thought I would share the latest firmware I have for the DSL-AX82U (DSL-AX82U_3.0.0.4_386_42438-g045583a_cferom_puresqubi.w) with forum members for those lucky few that have the DSL-AX82U already.

DSL-AX82U_3.0.0.4_386_42438-g045583a_cferom_puresqubi.w (5 downloads)

UK Sentinel

———–

Update: Added Changelog

========================================
    Security Fixed and Improvement:
    – Fixed XSS issue.
    – Fixed httpd stack overflow issues.
    – Fixed some AiCloud security issues.
    – Enhanced httpd for DoS.
    – Fixed httpd buffer overflow issue.

New:
    – New style QIS.
    – New schedular design for Parental Control.
    – Instant Guard.

Bug Fixed and Improvement:
    – Fixed AiMesh issues.
    – Enhanced Speedtest.
    – Disabled EEE by default.
    – Updated USB Modem APN data.
    – Updated miniupnpd to 2.2.0.
    – Enhanced bufferbloat issue for Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter.
    – Updated DSL PHY to A2pv6L046w.027l.
    – Fixed TrendMicro module stack issue
    – Updated Tuxera module.
    – Enhanced jffs filesystem occupied by icon file with some Netgear AP in LAN.
    – Fixed sometimes cannot identify the “Seagate Expansion” disk.
    – Added usb modem D-Link DWM-222 and ZTE MF821 support.
    – Added FEC, ES, SES and fixed CRC of DSL Line Stats.
    – Fixed Let’s Encrypt issue.
    – Fixed DSL WAN settings can not be restored.
    – Enhanced speed while click “Edit” WAN PVC.
    – Fixed aaews memory leak issue.

• This reply was modified 20 hours ago by UK Sentinel. Reason: Added Changelog

El3rt1cal
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

Thanks for that. Do you know what changes there have been from ….41776….  (which is what its box in the UK says it comes with) and ….42438…. ?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2903
    • Skipper

Thanks for that. Do you know what changes there have been from ….41776…. (which is what its box in the UK says it comes with) and ….42438…. ?

Alas no official change-log was given to myself, but I was testing QoS and DSL Stability at the time and I believe ASUS made improvements in those areas.

Luke Nevill-Bond
    Participant
    • Posts 33
    • Regular

Even though I grabbed the Fritzbox 7530 AX recently, would it be worth grabbing the DSL-AX82U when it shows up in the UK?

The DSL Broadcom chipset seems to be the same but Wifi 6 looks to be better on this model due to the external antenna system I guess. I’ve been very cautious with ASUS ever since having a bad experience the DSL-AC88U and ROG Phone (regarding software updates, volte support etc) so am I right in thinking that AsusWrt is supporting this model so if ASUS go the same way as the DSL-AC88U we will still have some sort of support for it either way?

El3rt1cal
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

It is here and I received mine this morning. They seem to be around £199-140 inc delivery (dependent on who from and how soon it is wanted).  I expect they will be sub £200 from most places by May

I know what you mean about the DSL-AC88U . Pre launch they were making claims including link aggregation that were never fulfilled. I think this one is likely to be different though given the pricing and that it should get a lot of buyers as one of the only single box AX solutions.

The only real negative without having set it all up and being able to see how reliable for me is is the lack of a 2.5 gbe ethernet port.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2903
    • Skipper

Even though I grabbed the Fritzbox 7530 AX recently, would it be worth grabbing the DSL-AX82U when it shows up in the UK? The DSL Broadcom chipset seems to be the same but Wifi 6 looks to be better on this model due to the external antenna system I guess. I’ve been very cautious with ASUS ever since having a bad experience the DSL-AC88U and ROG Phone (regarding software updates, volte support etc) so am I right in thinking that AsusWrt is supporting this model so if ASUS go the same way as the DSL-AC88U we will still have some sort of support for it either way?

AVM Fritz!Box are some of the best supported  hardware and firmware devices in the consumer market. as long as wifi from your 7530 AX reaches the areas you need, then no point switching to any ASUS wifi device,

AVM .also have a wifi 6 repeater so should help, but a tad expensive.

AVM lauches FRITZ!Repeater 6000 (ax)

ASUS are good, but it is early days etc.

ASUSWRT-Merlin is supported by @GNUton, for the DSL-AX82U, but if ASUS drop the DSL-AX82U, then @GNUton can continue to support the DSL-AX82U, but only in a restricted way as the DSL side could  suffer over time.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2903
    • Skipper

It is here and I received mine this morning. They seem to be around £199-140 inc delivery (dependent on who from and how soon it is wanted). I expect they will be sub £200 from most places by May I know what you mean about the DSL-AC88U . Pre launch they were making claims including link aggregation that were never fulfilled. I think this one is likely to be different though given the pricing and that it should get a lot of buyers as one of the only single box AX solutions. The only real negative without having set it all up and being able to see how reliable for me is is the lack of a 2.5 gbe ethernet port.

Great news and can I ask where you ordered yours from ? the DSL-AC88U had so much potential on paper, such a shame it never really happened

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 42
    • Regular

Would be interested to know when brought from :)  Does the DSL-AX82U also work with a external modem i.e. can turn off inbuilt one?  If so, this maybe the best option for me at present, use inbuilt modem and then if I ever go FTTP, turn inbuilt modem off and plug cable from FTTP modem into the wan port?

Need to look at some more reviews but I’m thinking this maybe be simplest option at present and by the time FTTP becomes affordable, might be time for a new router anyway :)

Thanks

Kev

El3rt1cal
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

Tekshop247.com I used Pricespy when  @wizard1’s post  suggested they might be released here soon.  There were about 5 sellers at the time.

Yes, the DSL-AC88U had promise with the move to a Broadcom chipset, pity it did not work out. I hope (and expect) this will be different. It is particularly good to see GNUton making Merlin available on this one.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.