ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 76
    • Regular

How has the unit been so far @El3rt1cal? Are you running it as it came from ASUS or loaded Merlin on it?

I’m tempted to by one but a little weary due to the usual teething problems until its been out a while :)

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Tekshop247.com I used Pricespy when @wizard1’s post suggested they might be released here soon. There were about 5 sellers at the time. Yes, the DSL-AC88U had promise with the move to a Broadcom chipset, pity it did not work out. I hope (and expect) this will be different. It is particularly good to see GNUton making Merlin available on this one.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Would be interested to know when brought from :) Does the DSL-AX82U also work with a external modem i.e. can turn off inbuilt one? If so, this maybe the best option for me at present, use inbuilt modem and then if I ever go FTTP, turn inbuilt modem off and plug cable from FTTP modem into the wan port? Need to look at some more reviews but I’m thinking this maybe be simplest option at present and by the time FTTP becomes affordable, might be time for a new router anyway :) Thanks Kev

The DSl-AX82U has a dedicated WAN port, so can be used with an external modem

Video of myself unboxing the DSL-AX82U – https://uktechhub.com/aiovg_videos/asus-dsl-ax82u-unboxing/

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 76
    • Regular

Thanks, think i might go for this one.  Anyone had any issues with the DSL-AX82U when running on the default firmware?  Is it good to buy now or are there some bugs that need fixing so should wait?

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Thanks, think i might go for this one. Anyone had any issues with the DSL-AX82U when running on the default firmware? Is it good to buy now or are there some bugs that need fixing so should wait? Kev

No official firmware actually exists for the DSL-AX82U, only beta’s :- https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Modem-Routers/All-series/DSL-AX82U/HelpDesk_Download/

So early days yet for firmware, but the more feedback forms ASUS receive the earlier they can fix the bugs, think of it as an investment and if you do purchase from outside the UK, make sure it has a suitable UK power plug 

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 76
    • Regular

Reason for potentially going with the AX82U is the RT-AX86U seems unavailable at most places with reasonable prices and the DSL-AX82U would still be usable if went FTTP due to WAN port.  Also means I don’t have to worry about getting an adapter so I can plug in 2 devices as only have 1 socket available where router is.  Also works out cheaper than getting the AX86U + Vigor 130.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

It would, Enjoy your new DSL-AX82U

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 76
    • Regular

Will buy from the UK for reasons of ensuring getting the UK plug and also in case of returns and not having to deal with any customs stuff :)

Has your DSL-AX82U been ok so far on default router out of the box or are there some issues I should be aware of?  Top priority is getting a decent connection and not one that drops out a few times each day randomly like it does at present.

Thanks

Kev

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by kev2021.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Alas, the information I pass to ASUS during testing I cannot divulge publicly, hopefully others can advise

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 76
    • Regular

sure thanks, hopefully someone can advise if connection has been stable :)

Thanks

Kev

vitt13
    Participant
    • Posts 15
    • Regular

Hi, I have the noisiest dsl line in my neighborhood and with my previous dsl modem FritzBox 7530 I was having reboot after reboot sometimes 10 times or more every evening, but with DSL-AX82U NOT A SINGLE DROP in connection, its Broadcom chip makes it very stable the same with my mum’s DSL-AC68VG just working 24/7, I recommend this modem.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Hi, I have the noisiest dsl line in my neighborhood and with my previous dsl modem FritzBox 7530 I was having reboot after reboot sometimes 10 times or more every evening, but with DSL-AX82U NOT A SINGLE DROP in connection, its Broadcom chip makes it very stable the same with my mum’s DSL-AC68VG just working 24/7, I recommend this modem.

The original Fritz!box 7530 uses the Qualcomm (Dakota) chipset for its modem, good to know the DSL-AX82U with its Broadcom DSL chipset is working well ans stable

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 76
    • Regular

Thanks, I just been looking at current BT router event log, it seems connection dropped at around 1am, 8am, 9am, 10:45am so far today so seem it dropped out every hour or two mostly, ignoring the 1am as this maybe when BT dropped the connection.  Fortunately it comes back on its own but takes a short while but rather annoying to say the least.

Going to see if more reviews of the DSL-AX82U from users having one and then might place a order for one, i never heard of those online stores before though, usually buy from ebuyer etc.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Amazon are taking pre-orders for the DSL-AX82U for £199.99 – Stock available in June.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=asus+dsl-ax82u&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 388
    • Addict

Which firmware version of 7530 do you use? Did you try to use old (previous) DSL-driver? That often helps.

Not all drivers work well with all lines and remote systems or their firmwares.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Grisu.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 202 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com