ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

• This topic has 1,152 replies, 72 voices, and was last updated 4 days, 8 hours ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.
Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 1,153 total)
  • Author
    MattBoothDev
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 5
    • Total Posts 5
    • UKTechHub Newbie

Hey,

I want to set the DNS for the DHCP server/LAN rather than WAN as this causes an issue when using Pi-Hole (I suspect).

I’ve got two Pi-Hole DNS servers running on my network and set their IP’s in the WAN configuration. But I think this is causing an excessive amount of requests when the router does a phone-home. I’ve noticed that devices on the network get the gateway IP as the DNS address rather than the DNS servers.

Usually I’d set the DNS settings of the DHCP server and leave the WAN DNS alone (or set to OpenDNS 1.1.1.1) but there’s no option here. Would this be the sort of thing I’ve be able to change via SSH editing some sort of dhcp.conf?

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by MattBoothDev.
    UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

The way the DSL-AC88U was coded, It is a nightmare to figure out and best avoided if at all possible

The DSL-AC88U is a project not finished, but I would try Advanced Settings > LAN  > Route  – which can be used to connect several routers behind DSL-AC88U to share the same connection and DNS to the Internet

To manually change the DNS server of each node via the DHCP client (LAN) is not possible I believe on the DSL-AC88U

I can pass to you an unlocked DSL-AC88U firmware build which supports Telnet etc, but it is not a secure build

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

MattBoothDev
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 5
    • Total Posts 5
    • UKTechHub Newbie

Route/Gateway is 192.168.1.1

DNS 1: 192.168.1.5

DNS 2: 192.168.1.6

Scenario:

When a computer makes a request for a new IP lease, it is given DNS IP(s) too.

Expected:

The IP(s) given are those configured in the LAN – DHCP page, DNS 1 and DNS 2 above. Therefore computers on the network make DNS requests directly to the server

Actual

The IP given is the gateway IP. DNS requests go to the Router/gateway first, then to the DNS servers. Causes some weirdness to happen sometimes.

The only way, currently, to change the DNS settings of this router are via the WAN settings.

My old Linksys had this functionality. At a push I could plug that in and run it as a switch and DHCP server, which would be able to give the correct  IPs but I’m pretty sure if the firmware/ROM is similar enough to Open-WRT or similar I could configure DHCP myself manually.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by MattBoothDev.
    UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

I see, A separate (independent) DHCP  server sounds a sensible option, do you still want a copy of the unlocked DSL-AC88U firmware to play with ?

MattBoothDev
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 5
    • Total Posts 5
    • UKTechHub Newbie

Yes please :)

I was reading some more of this thread last night and gathered Asus abandoned this device a while back :/

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

Edit: our posts just missed each other

If you have a look at the Emulator for the RT AX model below, under LAN > DHCP Server is the option to nominate LAN Clients DNS and WINS IP addresses which can be different to that of the Routers DNS servers

So yes in short, the DSL-AC88U is missing this option

The other question you might consider is that given the DSL-AC88U is no longer supported (unofficially) is it really safe to connect it to the internet

http://demoui.asus.com/Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp

MattBoothDev
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 5
    • Total Posts 5
    • UKTechHub Newbie

I don’t have much of a choice at the moment :( Though, I only paid £100 for this, new, in March!

My previous Router is a Linksys WRT1900ACS had DD-WRT installed on it and I’d done what I could to harden that. This is a shame, though, because Asus’ software is pretty decent.

EDIT:

I’m also stuck for a single-box solution with my VDSL line, as well. With the Linksys I had to use an older TP-Link as the modem and have two boxes running.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by MattBoothDev.
    UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

I don’t have much of a choice at the moment :( Though, I only paid £100 for this, new, in March! My previous Router is a Linksys WRT1900ACS had DD-WRT installed on it and I’d done what I could to harden that. This is a shame, though, because Asus’ software is pretty decent. EDIT: I’m also stuck for a single-box solution with my VDSL line, as well. With the Linksys I had to use an older TP-Link as the modem and have two boxes running.

This should be interesting when it arrives in the UK – https://uktechhub.com/forums/topic/asus-new-dsl-ax82u-modem-router-combo-wifi-6/

MattBoothDev
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 5
    • Total Posts 5
    • UKTechHub Newbie

I don’t have much of a choice at the moment :( Though, I only paid £100 for this, new, in March! My previous Router is a Linksys WRT1900ACS had DD-WRT installed on it and I’d done what I could to harden that. This is a shame, though, because Asus’ software is pretty decent. EDIT: I’m also stuck for a single-box solution with my VDSL line, as well. With the Linksys I had to use an older TP-Link as the modem and have two boxes running.

This should be interesting when it arrives in the UK – https://uktechhub.com/forums/topic/asus-new-dsl-ax82u-modem-router-combo-wifi-6/

If that’s only £210 later this year that’s 100% going to be my next box.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

If that’s only £210 later this year that’s 100% going to be my next box.

With Brexit – it will be interesting to see what happens with the price

Email Sent about Telnet firmware.

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 13
    • Total Posts 14
    • UKTechHub Regular

I’m going to try the DSL-AX82U when it’s available (not impressed with the Draytek Vigor > RT-AC88U so far…)

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

I’m going to try the DSL-AX82U when it’s available (not impressed with the Draytek Vigor > RT-AC88U so far…)

DSL-AX82U will be interesting, usually first few firmware’s are buggy, but should improve after that ?

What’s wrong with your current set-up ?

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 13
    • Total Posts 14
    • UKTechHub Regular

DSL-AX82U will be interesting, usually first few firmware’s are buggy, but should improve after that ? What’s wrong with your current set-up ?

I’ve had to power cycle the Draytek 130 twice, the RT once and had wifi issues about 4 times in less than 2 weeks since switching to this set up. The sys log from yesterday just stops when I had to power cycle the RT – no disconnect info…

I now expect no server response when I go to refresh a web page. Seriously considering going back to the DSL-AC88U until the new range is available.

The Draytek was brand new and the RT was used.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

DSL-AX82U will be interesting, usually first few firmware’s are buggy, but should improve after that ? What’s wrong with your current set-up ?

I’ve had to power cycle the Draytek 130 twice, the RT once and had wifi issues about 4 times in less than 2 weeks since switching to this set up. The sys log from yesterday just stops when I had to power cycle the RT – no disconnect info… I now expect no server response when I go to refresh a web page. Seriously considering going back to the DSL-AC88U until the new range is available. The Draytek was brand new and the RT was used.

If you start a new topic under ASUS Forum say call it (RT-AC88U and Draytek 130) , we can run thru a few options to hopefully help improve what you have. the Drayteks in particular are usually very good

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 459
    • Total Posts 460
    • UKTechHub Addict

My setup (Draytek vigor 2760 and Asus RT-AX88U) is bulletproof

Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 1,153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.