ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

• This topic has 1,152 replies, 72 voices, and was last updated 4 days, 8 hours ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.
Viewing 13 posts - 1,141 through 1,153 (of 1,153 total)
  • Author
    n13ldo
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 13
    • Total Posts 14
    • UKTechHub Regular

My setup (Draytek vigor 2760 and Asus RT-AX88U) is bulletproof

Nice but the RT-AX88U is a bit too pricey for me at the moment.

If you start a new topic under ASUS Forum say call it (RT-AC88U and Draytek 130) , we can run thru a few options to hopefully help improve what you have. the Drayteks in particular are usually very good

Thanks but not really wanting to spend the time investigating this just now as I have a few interviews lined up this week (Software Engineer) and need solid internet. In fact typing this just now I’ve decided the DSL-AC88U is being retrieved from the loft…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by n13ldo.
    UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

and good luck with interviews this week

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 13
    • Total Posts 14
    • UKTechHub Regular

Will the DSL-AC88U mesh with the RT-AC88U (in non router mode) ? The DSL-AC88U being the router and the RT-AC88U being a ‘repeater’ ?

I’m asking this as the RT-AC88U can be deployed into the garage for wider wifi (there’s a TP-Link in there just now)

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

Will the DSL-AC88U mesh with the RT-AC88U (in non router mode) ? The DSL-AC88U being the router and the RT-AC88U being a ‘repeater’ ? I’m asking this as the RT-AC88U can be deployed into the garage for wider wifi (there’s a TP-Link in there just now)

The DSL-AC88U has no AiMesh capability, a feature they never got round to introducing on the DSl-AC88U – you could fudge a connection to it via an ethernet cable between the two routers, but would require a different  SSIDs (probable) and double natting would happen etc ?

Coops67
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 2
    • Total Posts 2
    • UKTechHub Newbie

I would advise anyone thinking of buying the DSL-88U not to. It is an absolute dud of a product. Lots of functions are missing from the firmware but most importantly the FTTN synch speeds are very low (I was getting 78mbps on my DSL-88U and about 90mbps on 3 other modems I own.

Don’t buy any expensive combined router / modem. My advice would be get a really good wifi router and then bridge to a separate modem.

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 13
    • Total Posts 14
    • UKTechHub Regular

and good luck with interviews this week

Got the job

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

Congrats.    ‘you can treat yourself to a new router now’ 

r0b0tnik
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 2
    • Total Posts 2
    • UKTechHub Newbie

the debug version works great! seems a lot more stable than any of the public asus revisions. I don’t do a whole lot of advanced home networking anymore these days so I may not be facing the same issues as everyone else.

As a security engineer myself I think we all have bigger problems if telnet is exposed on the intranet..but I also have a PA220 inline and limit telnet just to that zone.

I’ve been running top as a baseline for awhile since receiving the firmware (thank you UKTechHub team!).

To free up 20-25% RAM I kill -9 httpd if I reboot it. Whenever I ever need to get back into the web gui, I just telnet back and rerun httpd to start up the web console again.

I haven’t seen any memory leaks, if you are referring to kmemleak, that is actually a good thing per man pages (I am not a linux d00d).

“Kmemleak provides a way of detecting possible kernel memory leaks in a way similar to a tracing garbage collector”

I’m getting a 2nd DSL line installed for my wife and her Mom. Thank you again for the firmware because I ended up buying another DSL-AC88U after not seeing any more problems

I will stay tuned and circle back. I hate to see a good device get such bad rep when its mfg firmware..it’s a heck of a lot better than the  centurylink “upgraded” actiontec c3000A. So for any US based folks on centurylink- this device works great using the firmware provided by the team. I can’t speak to QWEST based though.

Thanks again from across the sea!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by r0b0tnik.
    UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

@@r0b0tnik – I seem to remember from ASUS that memory issues for the DSL-AC88U was due to a lot of temp files being created and then not deleted by the kernel,

The DSL-AC88U had good potential

eazy
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 4
    • Total Posts 4
    • UKTechHub Newbie

Hi UK Sentinel,

DSL-AC88U needing SSH/Telnet access, can you please send me the firmware?

Thanks

Nobber

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

Hi UK Sentinel, DSL-AC88U needing SSH/Telnet access, can you please send me the firmware? Thanks Nobber

Hi @eazy – email / PM sent

emantec
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 1
    • Total Posts 1
    • UKTechHub Newbie

Could I grab a copy of the ssh firmware? Thanks!

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

Could I grab a copy of the ssh firmware? Thanks!

Hi @emantec – email / PM sent

Viewing 13 posts - 1,141 through 1,153 (of 1,153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.