ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,186 through 1,200 (of 1,255 total)
  • Author
    Andy
    Participant
    • Posts 9
    • Recruit

I sure will update,  as I expect other UK owners will soon be migrating to Gfast as it gets rolled out across the UK exchanges.

Kit hasnt arrived yet and the switch over isnt until the 2nd week in December but I expect it to be an external modem as it states the home hub will be delivered and a openreach engineer will come to install my new line. Which I suspect will be a new face plate & external modem.

My thoughts/preference is to use the TalkTalk modem connected to my WAN port on my 88U.

Only fly in the ointment maybe that TalkTalk have started to conceal my usr/passwd in their supplied equipment as Sl<y do.

In the UK it seams to be that more & more ISPs insist on their equipment only to be used to enable them easy access for the fault finding purposes

PS: I dont beleive in the tooth fairy

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2467
    • Skipper

Tooth fairy is self isolating at the moment

Have fun and broadband settings (account) for Talk Talk I believe is telephone number @talktalk.net  e.g (123456789@talktalk.net) and no password  needed

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Minted83
    Participant
    • Posts 1
    • Recruit

I sure will update, as I expect other UK owners will soon be migrating to Gfast as it gets rolled out across the UK exchanges.

I’m not so sure about that.

OpenReach haven’t announced any new G.Fast areas since the end of 2018.

They haven’t installed any G.Fast pods in 2020.

They officially announced the G.Fast rollout was “paused”  in April 2020 till at least April 2021.

Personally i can’t see it starting again. They may selectively use G.Fast for MDU’s where they can’t get wayleave permission to install FTTP but G.Fast from a pod on the PCP looks dead.

The focus is much more on FTTP which has already overtaken G.Fast for coverage.

G.Fast covers roughly 2.4 million homes and OpenReach FTTP cover over 3.5 million homes.

OpenReach FTTP coverage is growing at over 37k homes per week.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2467
    • Skipper

Yes will be interesting to see if the Fibre momentum replaces G.fast as UK government has a preference for Fibre and those copper and aluminium cables are getting old and more temperamental

Larry Bays
    Participant
    • Posts 1
    • Recruit

OK. Thanks for all your advice.
    Yes, the memory leak on the DSL-AC88U is the one I had seen that was still causing issues.
    I’m sure it will be resolved at some point, but who knows when. But I’m going to return it back.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2467
    • Skipper

OK. Thanks for all your advice. Yes, the memory leak on the DSL-AC88U is the one I had seen that was still causing issues. I’m sure it will be resolved at some point, but who knows when. But I’m going to return it back.

Chris Best
    Participant
    • Posts 1
    • Recruit

Hi @uk-sentinel, if at all possible would i be able to get access to the telnet firmware build, having some weird issues with my  AC-88u and would like to see if i can get to the bottom of it.

ta in advance.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Chris Best.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2467
    • Skipper

Hi @uk-sentinel, if at all possible would i be able to get access to the telnet firmware build, having some weird issues with my AC-88u and would like to see if i can get to the bottom of it. ta in advance.

Hi @chrisbest – email / PM sent about firmware

Andy
    Participant
    • Posts 9
    • Recruit

Your quite right Uk Sentinel. A new 5C Openreach socket fitted.

I have decided to use the MT992 modem and just use my 88U as a router.

MT992 to is now connected to the WAN port of my 88U but my speed is still restricted to around 70mbps.

I have tested a laptop directly to the MT992 and my speedtests are then north of 100mbps as expected.

It seams to be the 88U which is causing the resrtiction in download speed but I cannot find where as its now only being used as a router.

Hope someone can offer help as I have now sunk a CAT6 cable from the MT992 to the DSL-AC88U.

( ps: I used the same cable run when i tested speed directly from latop to MT992)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2467
    • Skipper

Is AiProtection ON, if so try disabling and same with QoS ?

Those MT992 are worth a lot on Ebay, lucky chap

Andy
    Participant
    • Posts 9
    • Recruit

AI is on QOS is off.

Made a little progress but its strange findings.

150mbps on windows 10 wired PC but only 20mbps on Windows 7 wired laptop.

All devices on wifi are giving back poor test results off Ookla

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2467
    • Skipper

is mobile device (iPhone / Android) also giving poor results for wifi ? also if you have a gaming console, test via that.

Disable AiProtection just for testing and check again on Wired.

What is your expected new G.fast speeds from ISP ?

Edit: maybe worth factory resetting router and starting from scratch and updating drivers on Windows 7 wifi card and Ethernet network card.

Andy
    Participant
    • Posts 9
    • Recruit

Ok guys, here are my findings.

Im on Gfast 150,

ISP predicted typical dowload speed =128mbps to 147mbps

Hitting 70mbps on 2.4ghz only but when switched to 5ghz hits well over 100mbps on 5ghz

Wired connections can range between 30mbps & 152mbps. ( The better spec the processor/RAM the better the figure ).

Not sure if this is down to the firmware version im using as I have never changed it since Sam Wen finally got my OpenVPN working properly back in 2017. Using V1.10.05 build 503.

Yes, I can also hear the Gfast click bug now !!

So im open to suggestions on a firmware version to try that has a known good OpenVPN server & Client firmware

Attachments:
    Andy
    Participant
    • Posts 9
    • Recruit

Clicking comes from relais switching input signal between VDSL and G.fast chip – AFAIR.

Yeah, it sounds like a relay switch. Anyway to stop it ?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2467
    • Skipper

Alas no idea which later Firmware version will still support your VPN configuration.

Relay clicking was fixed in newer firmware versions, but you run the risk with VPN failing

Edit: just looked at my old correspondence with ASUS  back in 2018 and Firmwares from beta v9.10.06_build568 onwards had this issue fixed.

Not sure but if under DSL Settings , you can change connection from Auto to VDSL or plug in DSL cable which is not attached at other end to see if this fixes clicking relay issue ?

Only a thought

Viewing 15 posts - 1,186 through 1,200 (of 1,255 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.