ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS New DSL-AX82U Modem Router Combo – Wifi 6

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

Any more room on the beta program? I am a professional software engineer BTW (if it makes any difference?)

If you are interesting in creating your own ASUSWRT Fork for the DSL-AX82U and others, then I am sure ASUS will take notice

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Posts 31
    • Regular
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

@Gnuton is already covering the ASUSWRT-Merlin fork for the DSL-AX82U and he has previously worked on the DSL-AC68U fork, but there are other variants out there ? or maybe look at improving other manufacturers like Netgear / TP-Link etc.

@Voxel is doing some great work with the Netgear R Wifi Routers,

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

My main interest is to get WPA3, then AX is my 2nd interest. Are you testing WPA3 or AX if you have clients?

I have and I will chat with ASUS to see if I can release this information ?

I spoke with  ASUS  and currently they plan to include WPA3 and AX with shipped models, a screen dump of WPA3  option just for you for DSL-AX82U

Attachments:

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

ASUS DSL-AX82U Summing Up

(A few members have PM’d me regarding the DSL-AX82U –  hopefully the below summary helps answer a few question)

Ok, so after much debate behind the scenes with ASUS, for myself, much like there previous models, the DSL-AC88U and the DSL-AC68U, the DSL-AX82U will be stored in the cupboard or used as a paper weight after I have finished all my testing.

Alas, in UK, DSL  routers are required to be BT SIN 498 MCT Approved and ASUS will not conform,  DrayTeK and AVM (Fritz!Box) do for certain models.

The DSL-AX82U does not support G.fast, ASUS are aiming the DSL-AX82U more towards the European markets I assume .

For myself, gaming is important and as a General purpose Modem / Router, the DSL-AX82U should work well, but for gaming, look elsewhere if at all possible.

For those following this thread and looking at Wifi 6 DSL Modem/Router units, AVM Fritz!Box have the 7530 AX which will be and interesting unit also to consider.

Only positive you could take from this is it is rumoured that @GNUton is working on combining ASUSWRT-Merlin for the DSL-AX82U, so this could be interesting to follow.

Such Fun !

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Posts 31
    • Regular

Time to move on then. Was hoping for an ASUS solution, guess not then.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

Time to move on then. Was hoping for an ASUS solution, guess not then.

Not an ideal one for me as I am based in the UK and a keen gamer

Update: I did think the other day, if you fancy a challenge, then as ASUS have abandoned the DSL-AC88U, you could try merging this with ASUSWRT-Merlin, that would be a great starting point for you ;-)

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Posts 31
    • Regular

So I’m now thinking about switching the DSL-AC88U to bridge mode and using the RT-AC88U (latest Merlin FW) as the main router and Wifi provider for the house. Wifi 6 isn’t important right now.

Worth trying out?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

See my above post as maybe a nice little project for you to get started on.

The DSL-AC88U does not support VLAN ID’s (802.1q) in Bridge mode – was planned but never got fully implemented.

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Posts 31
    • Regular

Would need to look out the Technicolor VDSL supplied by Zen, to keep the natives happy while I tinker with the DSL-AC88U.

Interesting project though – will look into setting a build environment for it and evaluate next steps.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

Defo, Family first

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Posts 31
    • Regular

Have switched to a Openreach HG612 3B with unlocked FW bridged to a RT-AC88U with Merlin 384.19 which frees up the DSL-AC88U. Also managed to get another DSL-AC88U for £60 so no excuse now to explore Merlin FW for DSL-AC88U. Shame I’m back to work tomorrow…

We’ll see how long this HG612 > RT-AC88U lasts when the natives wake up and complain about things not working… lol.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

I am sure they will not even notice ;-) good luck and any help needed feel free to ask (create new Topic)

n13ldo
    Participant
    • Posts 31
    • Regular

Seems all to be going well. I had previously tried a Draytek bridge > RT-AC88U and wasn’t impressed. This setup seems to be performing really well.

Worth it just for this info: The 15yr old has specific instructions to turn Xbox off at midnight and go to bed at a sensible time. Looking at the graph seems like Xbox (there’s a router block rule for his xbox at 12am) and then traffic is Youtube on the lounge tv till 3am and then probably on his phone till about 5am’ish.

Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

The HG612 3B was the one that did not overheat and a stable little modem.

On the ASUS Under General > Adaptive QoS is an option called Web History, that can help identify what  sites are being visited hence what apps are in use.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.