Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
You need to login in order to vote
Indeed itβs a great device, I donβt mind the colour so much as I have it plugged in inside a cupboard so itβs hidden away :)
It has helped a lot during the times when my meters just fail to send the data through the dcc network and theyβve gotten the data from the home mini anyway. You get the live data but also helps build up a better picture over time with the added granular detail. Essentially moves some IHD functions into the app.
kudos to octopus for engineering around some of the bizarre smart metering limitations
You need to login in order to vote
Anyone on octopus can sign up and request a home mini for free: https://octopus.energy/blog/octopus-home-mini/
It’s a little device you plug in and it reads real-time info from your smart meter and displays it in the octopus app, instead of the more infrequent data they get from the meter via dcc.
I’ve found mine quite helpful.Β They have a number of good schemes running at no cost. Last winter I borrowed a thermal camera from them for a few days to go around and find cold/uninsulated spots around the house. They should open signups for that back up nearer the winter too.
You need to login in order to vote
Did asus provide an indication when they would release the patches?Β bit worrying they made such a big thing about updating all the routers for the vulnerabilities but the DSL seems quite left behind
You need to login in order to vote
I do use gas and was certainly the biggest contributor to the savings when I first switched over. Even during the colder months the tracker price was far below the price cap tariff prices.Β Perhaps if the wholesale prices keep coming down the difference between them will narrow but unless the prices shoot up the tracker should otherwise always be cheaper than a fixed tariff as they bake in a chunky cost of insuring/hedging your tariff against price rises which gets added into your unit cost, which they don’t have to do with the tracker as we’d just have to pay it or switch tariff.
You need to login in order to vote
Has to be done.Β The tracker tariff in my eyes is amazing, the fairest way to get energy.Β In some respects I don’t mind paying more for it if the wholesale costs shoot up (after all why should they pay for my energy when we have to pay what we use for other things, like fuel). on the basis that I benefit immediately as the wholesale costs come down, which this tariff provides.Β It seems criminal that today i’m paying 18p/kwh for elec and others on ‘price cap’ tariffs are paying, what, double that?
Even then there’s room for improvement as the wholesale price of elec is affected majorly by the wholesale cost of gas.Β Given most days well over 50% of our elec comes from renewables these days they are looking to decouple those prices but I don’t think we’ll see that for years as it involves a whole market shakeup.Β When that happens elec costs should drop a lot more.
You need to login in order to vote
No the tracker is the one price for the whole day.Β They do have other ones like intelligent octopus or octopus go which offer cheaper rates at night, but I think you might need to have an ev to take those up.
They do have another tariff Agile octopus that changes every half hour based on wholesale prices, that one can actually dip below zero so you get paid to use energy at various points. It does vary a lot more than the tracker does though.
You need to login in order to vote
Good point, just had a quick look, Octopus Tracker product/service is available from the 1st July so worth another look as I believe wholesale prices are still going in the right direction. From what I can recall, only Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed or Flexible Octopus tariffs was available for us to select at the time. Was your tracker via the beta for Octopus?
I think it was the beta, i’ve been on it since around feb time. There was one day recently, saturday i think, there elec was down to 8p/kwh.Β Went back up to about 18 the following day but even so, massive savings.
You need to login in order to vote
Have you considered their tracker tariff?Β That’s saved me a fortune this year
You need to login in order to vote
Nice one. I had a look through the CVEs on the asus advisory site and some of them appeared to be resolved in prior updates and some not (the 2023 ones in particular).Β Would be good to know hopefully that the dsl router isn’t abandoned for updates, it seems to miss a fair few compared to it’s sister device the RT.
You need to login in order to vote
June 21, 2023 at 10:47 am in reply to: VPNs Hi all, What’s a good VPN service to use? I have heard of NordVPN but I believe they got hacked a year or so ago so not too sure about... #25269I can recommend Nord VPN, been with them for ages, found them always reliable and well priced.
Their ‘hack’ was a lot of hot air really, a config file on a single server in Finland was exposed (not user data), and they quickly went to lengths to make sure that the same thing wouldn’t happen again. Between a mix of how they use shared datacentres and also how they deploy their vpn servers.Β I looked into it quite extensively at the time and was quite satisfied it wasn’t a problem and they acted very swiftly to avoid a recurrence.
I’m sure others are good services but I find Nord good so far.Β I like to have a few countries profiles set up in my asus router to cater for devices that can’t use a vpn app (such as TVs etc) I can flip on to cater for those as necessary.
You can get referrals for additional free time from them too.
You need to login in order to vote
-
AuthorPosts
